Sunday 5 October 2014

"And the Bead Goes On and on..." 1-4 October

2014 - Week 40 Daily Beads - part 2 (The remainder of the September beads were shown on Wednesday this past week.) I also posted a tutorial about making beaded O rings. I have made a page at the top for the beaded o ring tutorial so you can find it easily.

Back to fabric packets this month.

Earlier this year I worked with orange beads for the Wearable Art gown I made - The Heat and the Flame. While doing so, I got to thinking about pink and orange. (like you do.)

I had never really considered pink and orange as working together until some years ago I began to notice it used a lot by people from the Indian subcontinent and places around that part of the world. Together the colours make their own vibrancy which seems to bring out the brilliance in both of them. A sort of vivacity...perhaps even animation... a perceived separate colour made of the combination of the two. Perceived, because it isn't actually there.*

So, as I said, I got to thinking about pink and orange. So I kept all the orange beads together after finishing the gown at the beginning of August. And rather than putting them back away in their various places, I decided to use pink and orange for the October fabric packets. Then when October was approaching, I got out pink fabrics and chose 3 that I had used for t-shirts for the girl in A Drop in A Bucket.

The interesting thing is that when you hold a packet of orange beads up to the pink fabrics they rather say 'NO, this will NOT do'. But I determined to persevere.

AND LOOK! There is the zing!

no.274


no.275


no.276


no.277



I am looking forward to this! I cut out 10 of each pink fabric + 1 of the lighter one. and I have 10 different orange beads I am going to cycle through during the month. It will be interesting to see how the different beads compare on each slightly different pink.


* I used to live in New England in America. We had an old apple orchard on the property which could be seen from the house. There was a brilliant florescent orange colour to the leaves in that area in the autumn. I tried several times to go down to the orchard and collect those amazing leaves. But, when I got there, I could not find any leaves even near to that description!
That is what I mean by "a perceived separate colour made of the combination of the two. Perceived, because it isn't actually there."

No comments: