Wednesday 20 May 2015

New Ramshackle -3

Other fabric problems...
The top fabric was one I picked up at the Festival of Quilts when I was trying to decide on a replacement for the fabric I used in the very first pieces. (I could no longer obtain any of it.)
However, though it feels firm, I think it is mostly the fabric finish. In reality, it is a pretty loose weave compared to most of the fabrics I have been using.

So, that means a bit of difficulty with the cutting out, especially on the little houses.
This one lost the side of the door because there were not enough threads between the door and the other cut.

So, digging through some of the scraps, I came up with replacement ideas. (The middle one is the one that came away.)

And voila! Good as new.


So, I decided to avoid cutting windows on the thinnest houses.

But they didn't fit in with the rest. The windows help with the 'character'. The eyes, if you will.

So, I tried out some markers on scraps and then drew in windows!
Sorry for the blur, But really, that is drawn, not cut!

It worked well enough to go to some of the other windows and give them a bit more definition where the loose weave had distorted with the cutting.

1 comment:

365 Dresses said...

Yep, you are right! The windows really help with the personality. Do you cut with an Exacto knife?