Wednesday 30 September 2015

Ramshackle Tower finish!

So today I got on with the finishing of the Ramshackle Tower.

I quilted the sky by using a twin needle to draw 'night breezes' across the sky.
detail

I had found, as with the crayons, that I didn't have enough of the right kind of brown to be the binding. I even auditioned a different colourway of the print I used for the tower. I had a dark brown print. But it seemed to take away the focus on the tower.
And then when I was getting design advice from my friend Pat, we decided the back of the print would work.

So, this afternoon I was carefully cutting and sewing binding. and then had started stitching it on. I like to try to get the leading edge to line up with something happening at the bottom centre of a piece if I can. Then when I get round to the finish, it makes a nice join that kind of blends with the path or whatever it might be.
So, I carefully lined it up and sewed to the corner. (I thought I had photos of this part.) just as I was about to make the mitred corner...I realised the print was on the outside.
hmmm.

So, back to the unpicker and resewing the joining seams on the binding.
double binding first pass sewn.
When this is turned to the backside, the join will be directly under the right side of the path.

and the rest was pretty easy. Until...

I set up a photo shoot in a different location - over the door - because this is much longer than most of my pieces and I needed a clear sight for the length of it. Hoping no one would come in. I got to the point where I was sorting the photo to get ready to submit it and I spotted a problem.

Do you see? I never did get that trunk on the tree!

So, I deleted the photos, put a trunk on - fused and stitched, coloured it in with the raw umber and got back to photographs. This time set up on my tall mirrored wardrobe so I didn't have to worry about 2 men and a dog coming to see if I was doing anything about dinner!

And the result you see at the top of this post.

1 comment:

365 Dresses said...

Perfect. I just love the Ramshackle series. When you mentioned using the wrong side, I thought uh-oh. Sure enough, two paragraphs later, the sides were mixed up. Isn't it amazing how difficult it is to use the wrong side?